Get a 1% Down Payment Loan

A 1% Down Payment home loan is a mortgage program where the borrower is required to contribute only 1% of the purchase price as a down payment. We provide financing for 99 percent of the home’s cost.

What is a 1% Down Payment Loan?

The 1% Down Payment Home Loan is a specialized mortgage program that enables prospective home buyers to contribute a mere one percent of the total purchase price as a down payment, thereby minimizing the initial financial burden often associated with homeownership. This innovative loan program, offered by lenders like Texas Easy Mortgage, caters to financing up to 99% of a home’s cost.

As an example, if you are eyeing a home that costs $200,000, with a 1% down payment home loan, your initial contribution would only be $2,000, while the remaining $198,000 would be covered by the loan. This significantly reduces the upfront cash requirement, opening the door to homeownership for individuals who may not have substantial savings.

Moreover, certain lenders provide an additional incentive of a 2% grant. In our $200,000 home example, this means $4,000 (2% of the purchase price) would be provided as a grant that doesn’t require repayment, effectively making your initial equity in the home 3%. The unique benefit of this program is the elimination of the need for mortgage insurance, which can often add to monthly mortgage costs.

However, eligibility for a 1% down payment home loan is governed by certain criteria. These include income limits set at 80% of the area’s median income. For instance, in an area like Austin where the median income is $122,300, the income limit for a borrower would be $97,840 (80% of $122,300).

The program also sets a cap on the maximum loan amount at $350,000, limiting the price range of homes you can consider under this program. Moreover, the program requires that the financed property be the borrower’s primary residence, meaning it’s not applicable for vacation homes or investment properties. Additionally, it is limited to single-family homes, thus excluding multi-unit properties or condominiums.

While the 1% Down Payment Home Loan program offers attractive benefits, it’s vital to understand the terms and thoroughly evaluate your financial situation before proceeding. Also, keep in mind that despite the low down-payment, you’re still responsible for monthly repayments on the majority of the home’s price. As with all mortgage options, it’s crucial to shop around, compare offers, and consult with a trusted financial advisor to choose the loan that best fits your financial needs and homeownership goals.


Got a question? We’re here to help.
A 1% Down Payment home loan is a mortgage program where the borrower must contribute only 1% of the purchase price as a down payment while the lender finances the remaining 99 percent.
This loan program makes homeownership more accessible by reducing the upfront cash requirement, making it particularly beneficial for first-time homebuyers or those with limited savings.
Availability may vary depending on lenders and financial institutions. It’s recommended to research and compare different lenders to find those offering such loan programs.
Eligibility criteria may differ among lenders. Typically, factors like creditworthiness, income stability, and debt-to-income ratio are considered when assessing eligibility for this type of loan.
PMI requirements can vary, but with a low downpayment, borrowers may be required to pay PMI to protect the lender in case of default. It’s important to clarify this with the lender.
The eligibility of the loan for different property types can vary. It’s essential to check with the lender if the loan program applies to the property you intend to purchase.
Interest rates can vary depending on credit score, loan term, and market conditions. It’s advisable to compare interest rates among different lenders to get the best possible rate.
The loan approval process duration can vary among lenders. Typically, it involves verifying your financial documents, conducting a credit check, and assessing the property. On average, it may take around 30-45 days, but this can vary.
Some downpayment assistance programs can be combined with a 1% Down Payment home loan. It’s essential to research and consult with lenders to understand the available options in your area.
While a lower down payment can be beneficial, it’s essential to consider the overall costs, including potential PMI and higher monthly payments. Ensuring the loan fits your financial situation and long-term goals is essential.